- A small lead smelting pilot plant was set up at Tundoo near Dhanbad
- Metal Corporation of India [MCIs] was formed & all the assets of the
Company were transferred to MCI.
- The Government of India surrendered the mining rights over Zawar to
Mewar durbar & MCI obtained the prospecting licence for 2 years and
in 1950 obtained a mining lease.
- MCI obtained licence for production of 9,000 tpa of lead & 5,40,000
Ozs of silver p.a.
- The Comp. was Incorporated 10th January, in Rajasthan. The Company
is a producers of Zinc & lead from the Company Mines & Smelters.
- Facilities for production of cobalt & indigenous lead-zinc ores
were commissioned during the year. In-house technology for the
recovery of cobalt was made possible through R&D & Cooperation with
- The application for prospecting licence for gold for Bhukia Jagpura
Banswara District & Dungarpur District Rajasthan was subletted to
- 40,37,31,900 shares disinvested in favour of Mutual Funds and
Financial Institutions. The Comp. allotted 188,00,000 shares to the
President of India in 1992.
- The Comp. entered into a MOU with BHP minerals Ltd., Australia for
joint venture project for exploration of base precious minerals in
Rajasthan. Another MOU was entered into with Vigego, Vietnam and
La-Sarce France for a joint venture project for exploration at Pac-Lang
Gold prospect in Vietnam.
- The Comp. decided to develop Sindesar Khurd Lead-Zinc Silver
deposit in Rajsamand, Rajasthan as a replacement mine to Rajpura-Dariba
with a capacity to produce 1000 tpd Ore. The Comp. closed its Degana
Tungstan Mine in Rajasthan as its operations became uneconomical.
- Hindustan Zinc Ltd & Rajasthan State Mines & Minerals Ltd [RSMMLs]
signed a memorandum of understanding of set up a Rs.3,300 crore power
project near Udaipur in Rajasthan.
- Hindustan Zinc Ltd [HZLs] has entered into a memorandum of
understanding for 1997-98 with the Government of India.
- Public sector Hindustan Zinc has entered into three separate
agreements with international mining majors for diversification into
mining & prospecting of previous minerals in India & abroad.
- The Comp. has formed a joint venture with BRMG of France and
Vietnam Rare and Precious Minerals Corporation [VMCs] to explore and
develop gold mines in the Southeast Asian country.
- The company second joint venture is with Nuigini Mining for
exploration of gold in Andhra Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh
- The company third joint venture is with the Australian major,
Broken Hill Proprietaries for prospecting of non-ferrous metals like
zinc, lead, copper as well as gold in Rajasthan.
- Hindustan Zinc Ltd [HZLs], a public sector enterprise under the
Ministry of Mines, has entered into a memorandum of understanding [MoUs]
with BHPM, Australia, for grassroot exploration of zinc & lead along
with other precious minerals in Rajasthan.
- HZL has also entered into a MoU with CSIR for setting up a nickel
technology proving plant [TPPs] for extraction of nickel from overburden
of chromite at Sukhinda mines in Orissa.
- HZL is likely to install a new zinc smelter with a capacity of around
60,000 to 1,00,000 tonnes, work for which will be initiated in 1998-99
and the plant is likely to be commissioned by end of Ninth Plan
or early Tenth Plan.
- HZL is also negotiating with another Australian Comp. Pasminco for
grassroot exploration of Ajmer district in Rajasthan.
- HZL has signed MoUs with three foreign companies - BHP Mining and
Nuigini Mining [NMLs] for exploration & exploitation of base and
precious metals in India & BRGM/VMC for gold prospecting in Vietnam.
- The Rampura-Agucha mines of Hindustan Zinc Limited [HZLs] has been
awarded ISO 9002 certificate for quality management system by SGS
Yarsley International Certificate Services Limited.
- Crisil has assigned a P1+ rating to the Rs.10-crore short-term
deposit programme of Hindustan Zinc.
- The Foreign Investment Promotion Board [FIPBs] has approved a joint
venture proposal of Australian mining giant, BHP, & the State owned
Hindustan Zinc Ltd [HZLs] to mine base metals in Rajasthan.
- The power plant is being set up in joint venture with the state-owned
Rajasthan State Mines & Minerals Ltd.
- Public sector Hindustan Zinc Limited [HZLs] will set-up a 100 mega
watt [mws] captive power plant in Rajasthan to meet its power
requirement for existing mines in the region.
- Rashtriya Chemicals and Fertilisers [RCFs], Hindustan Zinc [HZLs] and
Rajasthan State Mines and Minerals [RSMMLs] have signed a memorandum of
understanding for a Rs 300-crore diammonium phosphate [DAPs] project in
- Public sector Hindustan Zinc has commenced closure of loss-making
units as part of its strategy for improving valuation of company
prior to its privatisation.
-The US$1.3 billion Sterlite Group [Sterlites] announces that it has been declared the successful bidder for acquisition of 26% equity stake in Hindustan Zinc Ltd [HZLs] for Rs 4450 million [$91.30 ms] through Sterlite Opportunities & Ventures Ltd, a Special Purpose Vehicle set up for same.
-Sterlite Industries India Ltd has informed that US $ 1.3 billion Sterlite Group,on April 11, 2002 made payment of Rs 4450 million to the Govt. of India & completed the acquisition of 26% stake in Hindustan Zinc Ltd.
-Hindustan Zinc Ltd has the following changes in management structure:
-Directors ceased Mr B N Mittal Chairman-MD Mr A N Mittal Director Dr Vinayahil Gautam Director Dr S K Gupta Director.
-Directors nominated on behalf of strategic partner ie Sterlite opportunities & ventures Ltd w e f April 11, 2002. Mr K K Kaura Managing Director,Mr Anil Agarwal Additional DirectorMr Navin Agarwal Additional Director,Mr Tarun Jain Additional Director, Mr C V Krishnan Additional Director,Mr C A Sundaram Additional Director.
-Govt. Nominee Directors w e f April 11, 2002;Dr A K Kundra Chairman, Mr A C Wadhawan Director,Mr Nand Kishore Shukla Director.
- Mr C Sankaran, Comp. Secretary and GM has been nominated as Compliance Officer by Board.
-Govt of India has disinvested 26% of paid up capital of theHindustan Zinc Ltd ie 109858294 number of shares along with management control in favour of Sterlite Opportunities & Ventures Ltd [SOVLs].
-HZL Zinc Smelter, Vishakapatnam is accredited with ISO 9000:2000 certification
for its quality management system for manufacturing primary zinc, cadmium metals
and sulphuric acid through hydro metallurgical process.
-Hindustan Zinc Ltd registered a 113.58% growth in its net profit.
-HZL, a part of Sterile Group has raised $12 million worth of ECBs for its ambitious
Capacity Expansion [Capexs] programme.
-Hindustan Zinc Ltd has informed that Mr Aditya Narayan has jointed the Sterlite Group & will take responsibility as Managing Director of Comp. from Mr K K Kaura, CEO Sterlite
-Hindustan Zinc Ltd informes the inauguration of Company New Zinc Smelter at Chanderiya in Rajasthan with a production capacity of 170000 Tons Per Annum & 154 MW Captive Power Plant
-Hindustan Zinc Ltd has given Greentech Environment Excellence Silver Award for 2004-2005 in metal sector for its environment management
-HZL picks up `Golden Peacock' award
-Hindustan Zinc Ltd has appointed Shri. Sanjiv Kumar Mittal, Joint Secretary and Financial Adviser, Ministry of Mines as Government Nominee Director on the Board of Comp. with immediate effect in place of Shri. Sujit Gulati.
- Hindustan Zinc Ltd has informed that the President of India vide letter dated November 28, 2007 appointed Shri. A K Singh, Director, Ministry of Mines as Government Nominee Director on the Board of Comp. with immediate effect.