1958 - The Comp. was incorporated as a wholly owned government of
India enterprise. It was set up with the objective of exploring
& developing mineral deposits of country. The corporation
is engaged in investigation of other minerals like low silica,
limestone, Dolomite, Bentonite, Tungsten, Graphite, tin etc.
Apart from this, is also developing new high value added products
like ferric oxide, ferrite & iron powder from flue bust.
1991 - 13,21,572 No. of equity shares allotted to Govt. of India.
1992 - The Comp. proposed to open two new mines [11B and 10 and 11As] in
Bailadila sector in addition to expansion & modification of the
existing projects [5, 14 and 11cs].
- Efforts were on for collaboration with foreign companies in
exploration/exploitation of diamond deposits and to boost the
diamond production to about 1 lakh carats from the present level
of about 18,000 carats.
- The Corporation entered into a MOU with M/s. Essar Gujarat Ltd.,
for supply of fines for proposed 4 million tonne capacity
pellet plant at Vizag.
- The Comp. proposed to set up a 2 million tonnes low silica
limestone project at Arki in Himachal Pradesh.
1993 - With a view to have sustained supply of iron ore, a long term
agreement was reached with domestic consumers in sponge iron
viz., Nippon Denro Ispat Ltd., Essar Investments, Ltd., Lloyds
- During the year, two potentially diamond ferrous areas namely
Payalikhand & Behradh were identified in the Raipur district of
- During the year, 13,21,57,200 shares were disinvested to LIC, GIC
and its subsidiaries.
1994 - Government clearance was received to develop Bailadila 10/11A.
Bailadila 11B was to be developed on a joint venture with Nippon
Denro Ispat Ltd.
- Beneficiation tests were conducted at Regional Research
Laboratory, Bubaneshwar, BARC Hyderabad for development of
tungston/graphite deposit which could lead to foreign exchange
- A centre for geostatistics was set up in collaboration with De
Geostatistique Fonlaineblean France, for extension of services to
process exploration data of mineral deposits as also conducting
various services for popularising the applications of
- Two research project were undertaken. A pilot plant for
production of iron powder from blue dust concentrate in
collaboration with ARC International MKL was signed another for
production of pigment grade ferric oxide from blue dust and iron
ore slumes was to be set up.
- A commercial plant of capacity of 6,000 TPY at Visakhapatnam for
production of ultra pure ferric oxide from blue dust was on the
1995 - The Comp. Bailadila Mineral Development Co. Ltd., was
incorporated on 31st July & the Comp. has a stake of 11% in
its equity capital.
- The Comp. applied for prospecting licence for new diamond
prospects in MP and AP. Heavy media separation plant for better
recovery of diamonds was installed, leading to a record
production of diamonds.
- The Comp. undertook development of low silica lime stone
deposit at Arki.
- The following research products were taken up: [is] A pilot plant
for production of ferrite powder mix with characterisation
laboratory was set up with assistance from Department of
Electronics. [iis] A commercial plant of 600 TPA capacity for
production of ultra pure ferric oxide from blue dust was being
set up at Visakhapatnam, A.P.
1996 - A MOU was signed between the Corporations, Indian Rane Eastings
limited and AP Mineral Development Corporation limited for the
development of Bhimunipatnam beach stands by a new joint venture.
- The Comp. explored the possibilities of expanding into gold
mining in AP and MP & application for prospecting licences were
- A pilot plant for ferrite powder mix with characterisation
laboratory was set up with assistance of Department of
- Another plant for production of pigment grade ferric oxide from
blue dust and iron ore fines/slime.
- Another plant of iron powder from blue dust concentrates was
proposed to be set up at Hyderabad in association with ARC
International, DMRC Hyderabad.
- A commercial plant of 6000 TPY capacity for production of Ultra
pure ferric oxide from ROM blue dust was being set up at
Visakhapatnam in AP.
1997 - Under MOU performance Indicator, the Comp. produced 1517 tonnes
of high grade Ferric Oxide & supplied to various hard and
medium soft ferrite component manufacturers in India & abroad.
- The NMDC has signed a MoU with Indian Rare Earths Ltd & Andhra
Pradesh Mineral Development Corporation Limited for mining and
beneficiation of beach sands & production of limenite synthetic
futile for subsequent down-stream integration to produce titanium
dioxide for paint industry & titanium for aircraft industry.
- The National Mineral Development Corporation [NMDCs] lacks
expertise in search & evaluation of diamond deposits by
micro-diamond techniques, according to the expert committee on
exploration & exploitation of diamond deposits in Madhya
Pradesh set up by State Government.
- The NMDC lacks the state-of-the-art system for classification
& the evaluation of diamonds, & facility for bulk treatment
of samples for evaluation of economic viability of deposit,
according to the committee report submitted recently.
- The National Mineral Development Corporation [NMDCs] has not
secured clearance from the Union ministry for forest and
environment under the forest protection act for renewal of
- National Mineral Development Corporation Limited [NMDCs] would set
up a romelt pig iron & steel plant at Jagdalpurin Madhya
Pradesh [MPs] as part of its expansion & diversification plans.
- It has also entered into a memorandum of understanding with the
Madhya Pradesh Government, SAIL & Indian Railways for
construction of new broad gauge line between Bailadila iron ore
mines & Rowghat.
- The National Mineral Development Corporation [NMDCs] proposes to
increase the capacity of Panna diamond mine from 30,000 carats
per annum to 84,000 carats per annum within the next two years.
- Another major project of NMDC was the joint venture between
Indian Rare Earths Ltd & Andhra Pradesh Mining Development
Corporation Limited for development of Bhimunipatnam beach
sands which has rich mineral deposits in Visakhapatna.
- The corporation also plans to set up a pilot plant at Hyderabad
for making iron powder from blue dust concentrates.
- National Mineral Development Corporation Ltd [NMDCs], a public
sector enterprise, is currently on the look-out for suitable
partners to set up projects based on its research & development
studies regarding utilisation of kimberlite waste [kimberlite
rock is the source of diamondss].
-NMDC surpassed its target by 5% by producing 67 lakh tonnes of
ironore during the first six months of fiscal year.
-NMDC, a PSU under the administrative control of ministry of steel has been
upgraded from Schedule B to Schedule A company.
-NMDC signed a long term settlement of wages & other allied benefits for
-Chattisgarh government has alloted a land to NMDC for proposed Rs 300cr
pig iron benefication plant.
-RvC, the Dutch Council for Accreditation has awarded ISO-9001-2000 certification
-NMDC has been selected as one of top 10 public sector enterprise for the
MoU award of union government.
-NMDC received license from the centre for diamond exploration & other
precious minerals in Andhra Pradesh.
-NMDC gets approval from the Karnataka Government to mine gold in 702 sq.km
area in the central block of Chitradurga District for three years.
-NMDC informed the exchange regarding the change in management:
Shri.P.R.Tripati CMD has demitted the office & Shri.S.K. Agarwal, Director
is holding the additional charge of post of Chairman-cum-MD of the
-Hyderabad: MR B. Ramesh Kumar will be the new Chairman & Managing Director of National Mineral Development Corporation [NMDCs], a public sector undertaking, under the Union Ministry of Steel.
Mr Kumar, Director [Technicals], will assume charge on January 1, 2004. He succeeds Mr S.K. Agrawal, who retired on superannuation on Wednesday. Mr Agrawal was holding the posts of Director [Productions] & CMD of NMDC.
-H R Subramanya assumed charge as the director [finances] at National Mineral Development Corporation Limited [NMDCs]. Earlier, he was with Bharat Earth Movers Limited as its executive director taking care of of audit, systems appraisal, finance and Acc. & corporate planning departments
- National Mineral Development Corporation Ltd [NMDCs]has informed that Shri. B S Meena & Ms. Teresa Bhattacharya has been appointed as Directors of Company.
- NMDC Ltd has appointed Shri Mohd Imam, Deputy Secretary of Comp. as Compliance Officer of Company.
-Company name has been changed from National Mineral Dev.corp.Ltd to NMDC Ltd.
-The Comp. has issued Bonus Shares in the Ratio of 2:1.
- The Comp. has splits its face value from Rs10/- to Rs1/-.